Skip to main content
Student life

Visa & insurances

Get prepared to study in France!

Visa to study in France

Visa application procedures vary from one country to another.

  • If you are an exchange student: Contact the International Office of your home university to know the procedure to be followed.
  • If you are an international student applying for a French degree program: Please contact your local Campus France agency to know more about the modalities.

UCO will send you a letter of acceptance that will be needed for your visa application.


DGEF application form

Citizens from non EU-countries

Students from non-EU countries should have a visa-card “VLS-TS étudiant” sticker in their passport from their local French embassy. 

Upon their arrival in France, students MUST register online on the DGEF website.

You will need to provide: 

  • a valid email address 
  • your visa information 
  • the date on which you entered France 
  • your home address in France
  • your credit card details in order to pay a fee online for the issuance of your residence permit (for other means of payment, please visit the link above).

You will have to pay 60 € online by credit card. 

If you fail to validate your visa within the first three months following your arrival, you will no longer be considered a legal resident in France, and therefore you won’t be able to re-enter the Schengen Area. 


Residence permit

If your visa expires prior to the end of your stay at UCO, you should apply for a residence permit. If you are an exchange student, all formalities can be completed at the International Office.

International students following a French degree program can contact the International Recruitment Office.


Health insurance

At the beginning of each semester information sessions will be organised.

EU students

All EU students should be in possession of a European Health Insurance Card issued by the competent health authority in their country of origin.

Non-EU students (except Quebec)

All non-EU students, with the exception of those from Quebec, must be in possession of a medical insurance, valid throughout the duration of their stay at UCO, before arriving in France. Upon arrival, students must register to the French general social security system. Registration is done online by logging in to the website of the health insurance dedicated to foreign students (free of charge).

Students from Quebec

Quebec students coming on a higher education exchange program must hold a certificate attesting membership of the Quebec social security scheme (SE401Q106).

Tenant’s insurance

Your landlord will ask you to take out a tenant’s insurance when you move in. Your contact at the International Office or at the International Recruitment Office will help you through the process.

Personal insurance

It is your responsibility to take out a private insurance policy before your arrival at UCO to cover personal liability, property damage, etc.


Contact us

Contact us